Monday, January 15, 2018
(MLK Jr. Day)
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Glen Mar Church
Our fourth annual Day of Service will be hosted by Glen Mar Church, Ames Memorial UMC and St. John Baptist Church. Join us for a day of family-oriented, short-term service opportunities. This event will be conducted at Glen Mar Church and several off-site locations. Volunteering only requires compassion, a willingness to help, and a caring attitude. We are expecting a good turnout. All ages are welcome. Volunteering with family and friends sets positive examples by helping other people and serving the world. So, come for one hour or come for the day!
Date: Monday, January 15, 2018 (MLK Jr. Day)
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Orientation: 8:30 to 9 a.m., Activities: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Closing: 4 to 4:30 p.m.
Cost: The event is FREE and open to the public
What: Family friendly short-term service activities for ages 5 to 105 years old
Free Childcare: From 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. for 1 to 4-year olds
Where: Glen Mar Church, 4701 New Cut Road, Ellicott City, MD 21043; Phone: 410.465.4995. Get Directions
Community Service Hours: Available upon request at the sign-in table
Lunch: Pizza and bottled water can be ordered at the sign-in table for $5.00
Download the flyer.
Activities for Ages 5 Years and Up
- Packaging meals for the hungry (Goal: 90,000 meals)
- Decorating cookies for inner city school teachers (Goal: 36 dozen cookies)
- Writing letters and drawing pictures for military service members and others (Goal: 500 letters)
- Making spiritual bracelets for those in need of love and grace (Goal: 3,000 bracelets)
- Making no-sew blankets for students at The Board of Child Care (Goal: 30 blankets)
Activities for Ages 8 Years and Up
- Sewing pillowcases for people during a hospital stay (Goal: 60 pillowcases)
- Making jump ropes for school children out of clean old T shirts (Goal: 60 jump ropes)
- Making fishing kits for children (Goal: 200 fishing kits)
- Assembling health care kits for children (Goal: 60 health kits)
- Knitting for those recovering from an illness
- Making Tic-Tac-Toe kits and flannel Teddy Bears for school children
Other On-Site Activities
- Food collection for the Sandtown community in Baltimore: List of Requested Food Items
- Clothes collection for homeless (Sandtown area): coats, hats, socks, gloves, and blankets
- Gently used shoe collection (any size)
- Health screening for 16 years old and up (BMI and blood pressure screening, and pre-diabetes risk assessment)
Off-site Activities for 8th Grade and Up
Meet at Glen Mar Church at 8:30 a.m. for a short orientation. At 9 a.m., participants will divide into work crews and caravan together to the local off-site locations. Work crews will return when the job is complete (or by 4 p.m. at the latest). Those not staying the entire time should drive separately or arrange to be picked up at the work site. Bring a bag lunch and two bottles of water.
Off-site activities will include food collection at grocery stores, general home repairs, and sorting of donations.
Our partnership with Ames Memorial United Methodist Church
Frequently Asked Questions