January 31 – February 7, 2022
Each year, Grassroots Crisis Intervention Center joins local faith congregations to provide short-term shelter for those in need in Howard County. Glen Mar has been a sponsoring congregation each year since the shelter opened in 2004.
During 2022, Glen Mar will host the Cold Weather Shelter (CWS) from Monday evening, January 31 through Monday afternoon, February 7. Instead of housing our guests in our building as in most previous years, Grassroots and Howard County are housing guests at a local hotel. We are asked to provide daily meals for 30 guests and two volunteers each evening to deliver dinner meals to guests’ rooms.
Glen Mar volunteers are needed for the following tasks:
- Buy bulk food items, beverages, and supplies for breakfasts and lunches. These items can be dropped off at Glen Mar on Sunday Mornings, January 16, 23, 30 from 9:00 am – 12:15 pm.
- Make sandwiches for lunches and deliver to Glen Mar no later than 10:30 am on the day the volunteer signs up to prepare the lunches.
- Make individually packaged dinner meals (we will provide containers). Dinner does not need to be hot since guests have microwave ovens in their rooms. Dinners should be dropped off at Glen Mar by 5:00 pm on the day the volunteer signs up to supply the dinner.
- Deliver meals and food items from Glen Mar to the hotel twice per day: 11:00 to 11:30 am for lunch and 5:30 to 6:00 pm for dinner.
- Volunteer at the hotel. Two volunteers per day are needed to deliver meals to guests’ rooms 5:30 to 7:00 pm.
Please sign-up by Thursday, January 20. Volunteers under age 18 at the hotel must be accompanied by an adult. COVID-19 precautions will be taken at the hotel.
Donations are Appreciated
Financial contributions are appreciated for guests’ laundry expenses, to purchase meal containers, and miscellaneous expenses during the week.
- Write a check to Glen Mar Church and write CWS in the memo line.
- Online donations are another option as well. Make sure to put CWS in the memo line.
If you have any questions, please email us.