Lenten Sermon Series – Good Enough: Embracing Imperfections in Our Life of Faith
February 22 through April 9, 2023
Join us for worship at 9:30 am or 11:00 am Sunday in the Glen Mar Church Spirit Center or online.
We live in a culture bent on definitions of a good life as continuous upward mobility – climbing ladders of prosperity with increasingly fabulous experiences that we can post to ever-more-likable social media accounts. We may comb the shelves of the self-help section of libraries or bookstores in search of just the right formula to gain success. Perhaps we even gravitate towards spiritual leaders who promise great rewards if we only do “the right thing.” But life happens, right? Most times we are not moving upward, but trying to repair the rung we’ve just slipped from. So what if we stopped climbing and started fertilizing, watering, and blooming right where we find ourselves?
Welcome to a Lent of affirming – a Lent in which we are blessed, regardless, of where we are – a Lent where we can lean into and embrace our “good enough” lives.
- Ash Wednesday, Feb 22 at 7:30 pm: (Lent Begins) “Perfectionism is Impossible, Transformation is Not”
- Sunday, Feb 26: “So Much is Out of Control” (Luke 13:31-35)
- Sunday, Mar 5: “Lots of Things Can Be Medicine (Luke 13:1-9)
- Sunday, Mar 12: “Ordinary Lives Can Be Holy” (Luke 4:1-13)
- Sunday, Mar 19: “We Often Believe We Are the Problem” (Luke 15:1-3, 11b-32)
- Sunday, Mar 26: “We Are Fragile” (John 12:1-8)
- Sunday, April 2: “You Are a Group Project” (Luke 19:28-40)
- Maundy Thursday, April 6 at 7:30 pm: “We Are Blessed Regardless” (John 13:1-17, 31b-35)
- Good Friday, April 7 at 7:30 pm: The Seven Last Words of Christ cantata
- Easter Sunday, April 9: (Lent Ends) “In the Good (Enough) Garden” (John 20:1-18)
We do not have a conventional “book study” but we have access to Kate Bowler’s free lenten devotional guide that can work as a stand-alone devotional, based on the book, Good Enough by Kate Bowler and Jessica Richie. This lenten devotional is optional.
Our Nursery is available year-round for infants & toddlers as is our Sprouts program for preschool to kindergarten.
Sunday Christian learning for grade school, middle, and high school is available at 9:30 AM.
Please let us know if you have any questions.