Dear Glen Mar friends,
Lent, from the Anglo-Saxon word for spring, is my favorite season of the church year. It is a time of preparation for baptism in the early church, and a time to draw closer to Christ through prayer, fasting, worship and service to others. For this Lenten time, will you join with me in these practices, as a way to strengthen our faith and prepare for Christ's Resurrection Day? Let's do a "Give Me 5!"
- Pray 5x a day: Upon rising, at mealtimes and when you go to bed. If you can't think of what to pray, start with Thank you, God. Or try a 5-finger prayer....Thumb: those closest to you, friends and family. Pointer finger: those who point the way - praying for teachers, healers, pastors and helpers. Third Finger (tallest): Leaders (in government and otherwise) and those who make hard decisions. Ring finger (weakest): Pray for those who are sick, hurting, or in need and lastly (pinkie) for your own needs.
- Read 5 verses of scripture a day: Let's read through the Gospel of Mark together. It's the shortest gospel, and the one assigned for this lectionary year.
- 5 acts of radical generosity per month: Maybe you'd like to give the money you would normally spend on something that you are giving up to the church as a Second Mile Offering? Maybe you'd like to make cookies for your neighbor? Or send cards each week to Glen Mar's shut ins? Donate some canned goods to the food bank?
- Join us for worship throughout Lent (starting with our Ash Wednesday services!) and
- Invite 5 people to join us for worship: Now is a time when people need the Lord more than ever...and it's easy to share the link to our website or our Easter services with friends.
Ash Wednesday will have 2 options for worship: a Zoom service at noon or a drive-in service in the Glen Mar Parking Lot (details in email). And, get ready for our Lenten series, "Listening to Christ from the Cross."
See you in worship,