Frequently Asked Questions
Is Glen Mar’s Day of Service held in all types of weather?
If there is inclement weather on the Day of Service, please check our website before coming to Glen Mar. Inclement weather notices are posted in red at the bottom of the homepage. An inclement weather notice will appear on our website by 6 a.m. with details of any closings and delayed openings for the church. A delayed opening means that the church will open at 10 a.m. If a delayed opening is in effect and conditions worsen, we will post a revised announcement by 8:30 a.m. One or more planned activities may be canceled due to inclement weather if activity leaders are unable to attend.
Do I have to come at the beginning of the day or can I arrive later?
You can come any time between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. if you want to be part of activities on-site at Glen Mar Church, but if you want to participate in off-site activities it is best to be at Glen Mar Church at 8:30 a.m. so you can select an off-site activity and drive to the site with your work crew at 9 a.m.
What do I need to bring to the Day of Service?
If you plan to participate in an off-site activity, please bring a bag lunch and two bottles of water (a chili lunch with a free will donation will be served to those on-site at Glen Mar). We will be collecting non-perishable food items, as well as coats, hats, socks, gloves, blankets, and gently used shoes (all ages/sizes).
Will I have to wait in line?
Some activities will be filled from time to time, so just select another activity and check back in 20 minutes.
How long does it take to complete a Day of Service workshop?
Workshops vary in length, some lasting one hour and others longer. We will assist you in joining a workshop whenever you arrive.
Where are off-site activities held?
This year's off-site activities are still being finalized. Details will be posted here later. Last year, volunteers served breakfast for 150 people at Manna House in Baltimore. Work crews of youth and adults also served at the Board of Child Care and the Salvation Army Thrift Shop on Route 40 in Ellicott City.
Who receives the food and items created at Day of Service?
Glen Mar works with a number of local and international organizations:
- Packaged food is distributed by Terps Against Hunger
- Decorated cookies go to inner-city school teachers in Baltimore
- Pillowcases go to local hospitals
- No-sew blankets go to residents of Board of Child Care
- Bunk beds are given to local families in need through Sleep in Heavenly Peace - Howard County
- Colored or written notes go to shut-ins and the elderly through Meals on Wheels, as well as to active-duty military, college students and confirmands who attend Glen Mar Church.
- Tops, fishing kits, health kits, hygiene kits, jump ropes, teddy bears, tic-tac-toe boards, and bead kits are put into shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child
What is your contact information?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Anna Schwartz, Pastor for Community Life, at 410.465.4995 ext. 206.