ADVENT: IT’S NOT JUST FOR SHOPPING ANYMORE
LET THE ADVENT-URE BEGIN!
Dear Glen Mar friends,
Advent is a season of 4 weeks, including 4 Sundays, that starts on December 1. Advent comes from the Latin word, adventus, which means "coming". This season calls us to prepare for all the ways Christ comes to us: We once again prepare to celebrate his BIRTH, an event that happened in the past; We celebrate the way Christ comes to us in the present in the WORD and the HOLY SPIRIT; and we anticipate Christ's future RETURN in final victory.
As we move from Thanksgiving turkey to Christmas toys, let us take some time to prepare our hearts for all the ways Christ comes to us. In need of some suggestions?
- You and your family may want to make an Advent wreath and take some time as a family to do a devotion, light a candle, say a prayer or sing a song together. Each person could share a joy or concern from the day or a way they experienced God's love.
- Silent Night, Holy Night....Try setting aside time for silent meditation, not focusing on "saying the right words" but on just being in God's presence with an open heart. It's the perfect prescription for the Hectic Holiday Blues.
- Give....There are lots of ways to give of your time and resources to those in need. We have lots of opportunities at church every year to bless others out of our abundance. And it can be something as simple as a check or some change, or it could be the beginning of a relationship, a visit to a nursing home. It's a way to proclaim that in a world that looks dark sometimes, Jesus is the Light of the World and the darkness has not overcome it! Walk to Bethlehem, Wish Upon a Star, the Day Resource Center...so many ways to serve the Birthday Boy this year!
- Love....Start new traditions that don't have to do with material things. Have a few more meals with friends and family, make a meal at the Day Resource Center or send a note or make a visit to folks you know are lonely, grieving or hurting. Maybe the family could make some extra Christmas cookies to share with a shut-in or a friend in need of some love.
- Reconcile....Send a letter or card to someone with whom you have a broken relationship or a person who's a long-lost friend as a first step to reconciliation.
We prepare to celebrate the Advent of the light of the world. As we clean our houses and buy our gifts, let us take time to make a place in our hearts for the God who wants to make every heart God's home and let us reflect the light of God's love this whole month of Advent.