MLK Jr. Day Of Service 2022
Monday, January 17, 2022 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
Everyone is welcome to participate in this eighth annual Day of Service, which will be a virtual event hosted by Glen Mar Church. We will be partnering with Ames Memorial UMC and St John Baptist Church. Join us for family-friendly short-term service activities for ages 5 to 105 that will make a positive difference in our community.
Participants will be assembling “take home and return” kits filled with crafts; making “no-sew” hats; and writing letters. The items need to be picked up at Glen Mar and assembled at volunteers’ homes. After the items are completed, please return them in individual plastic bags to the church during the return dates and times listed below. We are emphasizing that our volunteers put love and care into each item.
The items will be distributed to senior citizens, service members, essential workers, and other individuals.
The Day of Service offers us a way to collectively work together to meet the needs of our local community while being safe and socially distanced. So, work for an hour or for the entire day!
We are also hosting on-site health services for the community from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
Pre-registration is strongly encouraged.
Virtual ZOOM Sessions
Join us on Day of Service for our Opening and Closing Celebrations. On Sunday afternoon, January 16, everyone who pre-registers will be emailed the Zoom ID and password for the Opening and Closing Celebrations
Opening Celebration: Monday, January 17 from 9:00 to 9:30 am
Closing Celebration: Monday, January 17 from 4:00 to 4:30 pm
Kit Pick-up Dates
- Friday, January 14 from 3:00 to 6:00 pm (outdoors)
- Saturday, January 15 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (outdoors)
- Sunday, January 16 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (indoors)
Kit Return Dates
- Friday, January 21 from 3:00 to 6:00 pm (outdoors)
- Saturday, January 22 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (outdoors)
- Sunday, January 23 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (indoors)
Kit Pick-up & Drop Off is at Glen Mar Church, 4701 New Cut Road, Ellicott City, MD 21043
On-Site Health for the Community – Monday, January 17 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
As a part of our Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service, Glen Mar Church is hosting the following community health services on-site Monday, January 17 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm in the Spirit Center. Please wear masks. Please do not attend if you have any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Annual Flu Shot – Get your annual flu shot through the Howard County Health Department at Glen Mar Church. No appointment or pre-registration is necessary.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Shots – The Maryland Department of Health is providing free COVID-19 vaccines for people 12 years and up (1st, 2nd, & booster Pfizer shots). Please pre-register.
- Health Screening – Health Screening with resource/information bag (e.g., blood pressure, BMI) with Howard County General Hospital. Please pre-register or just walk in.
No-Sew Hat Instructions
There are many no sew fleece hat instructions and videos online. The first and third links below have step by step instructions and the second one will lead you to a quick video instruction. Please use the whole piece of fleece to make the hats.
Create Artwork to Raise Funds for Clean Oceans/Hunger Relief
This year, we’re participating in Students Rebuild’s 2022: World Needs Challenge tackling five big issues to support some of the greatest needs in our global community. Read more about it in the Students Rebuild packet handed out in the kit.
Glen Mar is already registered to participate, so there is no need for you to register. Please return your artwork to Glen Mar by uploading a digital photograph. Participants without a google account can send a photo of their work via email with the subject line “Students Rebuild.”
Parent and Child ‘Scavenger Food Hunt’
Glen Mar will be collecting non-perishable food items for Day of Service. Get your food list here.
This event is FREE and open to the public.
Have questions or stories email us.