Position Posting: Full Time Pastor’s Assistant (35-40 hours/week)
Glen Mar United Methodist Church is currently seeking a responsible Pastor’s Assistant to support the Pastoral Team (Lead Pastor, Pastor for Worship, Pastor for Community Life) and the Minister for Operations by providing administrative and clerical support for them as needed. The Assistant will also support the ministries of the church through providing coordination, training and support in hospitality ministries.
- Provide hospitality to visitors of the church and congregants as main receptionist and representative of the pastoral office.
- Serve as coordinator of Glen Mar’s Hospitality Team. Train and schedule Greeters, Ushers, Parking, Welcome Center and Refreshment Coordinators, Memorial Team and, in coordination with the pastors, help with recruitment of same.
- Prepare bulletins for weekly worship and special services (e.g. confirmation, funerals) and posts to website.
- Send announcements, orders of worship & worship leader notes to the A/V Team, worship leaders and webmaster as appropriate.
- Schedule liturgists, lay readers and communion servers for worship services
- Calendar and track baptisms and new members, including sending follow up communication and helping prepare materials for new member events and classes.
- Assist with funeral and wedding administrative functions, included explaining our policies, securing payment and working with our funeral hospitality/memorial team.
- Update contact information, attendance and membership information in our database
- Coordinate card ministry, flower delivery and “Meal Train” requests
- Put newsletter together and sends out communications at pastors’ requests
- Participate in staff meetings
- Help coordinate staff appreciation events/retreats
- Answer phone and sign for deliveries
- Order materials in support of relevant ministries (e.g., Lunch with the Pastors, trainings, church-wide studies)
- Calendaring events as needed
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- 2 years’ experience in multi-tasking work environments, preferably in non-profit, professional or church environment
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills
- Comfort with WordPress, Planning Center, Service U or ability to learn
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- A college degree or equivalent preferred, not required
- The ability to honor confidentiality
- Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, and values of Glen Mar Church. Relates to others in a way that promotes that mission, vision and values.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work effectively as part of a team. Demonstrates the skills of active listening and openly accepts criticism. Productively engages and resolves interpersonal conflict. Engages people positively, with an attitude of optimism and generosity.
- Hospitality: Demonstrates the ability to represent Glen Mar to the public and with staff and the congregation in a way that reflects radical hospitality. Has heart for hospitality and helping mobilize others that share that same gift.
- Time Management and Organization: Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and execute multiple tasks and exhibits “grace under pressure.” Attention to detail in their work, ability to proofread, edit and draft correspondence, bulletins, emails and the like.
- Reports to the Lead Pastor and SPRC as requested. Works closely with all pastors and Minister for Operations.
- Works collaboratively with staff, ministry leaders, and church members.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to Pastor Mandy Sayers