Position Posting: Minister for Youth and Young Adults
Glen Mar United Methodist Church (Glen Mar) is currently seeking an enthusiastic Minister for Youth & Young Adults to serve the Middle School through College population in the church and be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive youth/young adult ministry program in the areas of fellowship, worship, growth in discipleship, mission, and outreach.
The Minister for Youth & Young Adults will report to the Lead Pastor of Glen Mar. The Minister for Youth & Young Adults will develop and implement a program for grades 6-12 and college-aged adults to include fellowship, worship, growth in discipleship, mission and outreach, service, worship and growth. The program will take into consideration the differing needs of middle-high and senior-high students and college students and be compliant with Glen Mar’s “Safe Sanctuaries” policy at all times. The Minister’s responsibilities will also include (but not be limited to):
- Being an advocate for this population
- Developing and managing a program budget
- Developing and overseeing youth/young adult leadership and input
- Developing and overseeing adult leaders from congregation to help with this ministry
- Overseeing Confirmation program for 8th graders, including helping plan confirmation service (with Pastors)
- Leading youth in developing a “Youth Sunday” worship service at least 2x year (with Pastors)
- Keeping youth and families informed of events and opportunities via appropriate media and contributing youth-oriented materials for the GMUMC website and other publications as appropriate.
- Planning, organizing and leading faith-based weekend retreat(s)
- Helping Glen Mar to build relationships with youth and young adults outside our church walls.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree, a minimum of 3 years’ experience working with youth and/or young adults in a church setting, or a comparable combination of education and experience, basic knowledge of scripture, the Methodist/Wesleyan tradition, experience with the recruitment, training, management, supervision, and equipping of others. The successful candidate will also have knowledge of and ability to use social media and basic proficiency with computer skills, including word processing, email, web browsing, etc. Some experience with Christian education curriculum and program design, planning and organization is ideal. Additionally, this individual will need to be resourceful, able to work collaboratively with a team, have excellent interpersonal skills, and be welcoming to all persons, showing and sharing the love of Christ to all.
If you feel that you have the qualifications needed to be successful in this Minister for Youth & Young Adults position and want to work in a rewarding, team-oriented working environment, please forward your cover letter and resume to: Alison Mannino, Minister for Operations, Glen Mar United Methodist Church, 4701 New Cut Rd, Ellicott City, MD 21043 or email us.
Glen Mar United Methodist Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer.