Dear Glen Mar friends,
Happy Father’s Day (a little early). There are many ways to celebrate dads this weekend and to celebrate that in God, we have a perfect parent who loves us, sacrifices for us, and teaches us how to serve. It’s also a great way to honor Juneteenth, and the freedom Christ desires for all people.
- Friday night you could honor Dad by coming to the Summer Concert Series to hear the Marine Corps band play, at Glen Mar at 7 pm.
- Saturday mid-day, (11-2) you could share God’s liberation by bringing some food to the Day Resource Center or sign up to help serve at the shelter. If you’re not available this month, we do it pretty much every month throughout the year. Check it out here!
- Also Saturday, you could join many United Methodists in the Baltimore Washington Conference at the Poor People’s Gathering in Washington, DC as a witness of Christ’s liberating love for the poor. Register here.
- Sunday morning, we’ll honor, remember and pray for our Dads and for healing and hope for those for whom it’s been a hard day. We’ll hear God say to each of us “Welcome to the family” as we consider Galatians 3 and what it means for Paul to call us all God’s children, “neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female, slave or free”. We’ll receive new members and commission our mission team to Hurley, VA.
- Sunday afternoon, join me at the Yard to cheer the O’s to victory, and bring your best “Dad jokes.” Get your tickets, if you haven’t already.
As we honor our forebears in the faith, I invite us to ask how God is calling us to participate in the family of God, the family of faith. How are you learning from those further along on the journey? How are you caring for children and youth? How are you caring and connecting in love with our brothers and sisters? How can we care better for you?
I’m so grateful for a church that takes Jesus’ “family values” (love, mercy, radical discipleship, peace, justice, humility) so seriously.
See you in Church,
PS – We’ve now received about 100 commitment cards. It’s not too late to share your estimate of giving toward our Mission and Ministry for next year. Eric and I will be continuing our giving at a tithing level to our church (Mission/Ministry and Capital funds). We think it’s the best investment of God’s gifts to us and is the answer God’s given us to the prayer “God, how do you want to use me and that which you have given me.”
For more information on what’s going on at Glen Mar, check out our blog “This Just In.”