There’s always something happening at Glen Mar.
- Blood Drive & Community Health Fair – Saturday, September 16. Glen Mar Church is hosting a health fair and blood drive from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Everyone is welcome and it is free to the public. Volunteers are needed, please email the Health Fair team. The event will make our community a more resilient and healthier place for all of us. Pre-registration strongly recommended, but walk-ins accepted as time slots allow. [Read More]
- ACS Benefit – Outback Dinners: purchase by September 18 – Come and dine with family and friends, or pick up dinners to take home – all to benefit the American Cancer Society. Dinners will be available Tuesday, Sept. 26 from 5:30 to 7:15 pm in the Glen Mar Spirit Center. The menu includes sirloin steak and chicken, macaroni and cheese, Caesar salad, bread and butter. Cost is $25 per dinner. Purchase dinners today online, or visit our table in the Gathering Place on September 10 and 17.
- Family Dance – Saturday September 29, 5:30 PM. Mark your calendar for a delightful evening with your family. This event promises to revel in a range of dance styles from semi-formal to free-form, for both parents and children. The night will feature a thoughtfully themed dinner, engaging games, and a lively photobooth to capture memorable moments. Open to all ages. Register now to secure your spot! [Read More]
- Journey to Bethlehem – November 30, December 1, 2, & 3. Mark your calendar for the event of the season! A FREE outdoor Christmas experience for the whole family where you can meet Roman soldiers, shepherds (and their sheep) and angels as you journey through the Christmas story. Help us prepare to tell the “Greatest Story Ever Told”. Return costumes from last year. Sign up to play a part, from behind the scenes to in the scenes. Visit our table in the Gathering Place for more information.
Glen Mar Church Fall Kickoff – September 10
Celebrate the start of fall ministries at Glen Mar and reconnect with God, with church, and with each other! What does this mean? Kids and Youth programs as well as community and growth groups, start back up on (or shortly after) Sunday, September 10! We will have a Gathering Place teaming with opportunities for you to sign up and take part in a variety of ways to further the Kingdom – Glen Mar’s mission: to love God with our hearts, learning about God with our heads, and serving God with our hands. After the 11:00 worship, we will celebrate with a picnic lunch at noon, complete with great food and fun for all ages.
Kids & Youth – Fall Kick-Off 2023!
- Youth Group – Sunday, September 10 at 5:30 pm. “Life Size Board Games” – Join us for a GIANT game night, bring $5 for dinner.
- Confirmation Class starts Sunday, September 10 at 9:30 am. All 8th grade youth are invited! Please contact Pastor Heerak if you missed the information meeting. Sign up today here!
- Cub Scouting teaches citizenship, character, personal fitness, and leadership by HAVING FUN and getting outdoors. Cub Scout Pack 874 is for boys and girls in grades K-5, meets here at Glen Mar UMC, and is looking for new Scouts this fall. Please visit Cub Pack 874’s website for contact information to learn more about getting your child involved in Scouting!
Youth Group Dinners
We need your help to make Youth Group a fun experience for our kids! Select a Sunday to provide a meal for our youth. Feel free to sign up solo or with a friend! Please contact Jen Sellers if you have any questions. [Sign Up]
Join a Music Group – Fall Kick-Off 2023!
Our “Kickoff” for Fall is a time to start new things for the Fall Season. Take advantage of this time and join one of our many music teams. Email the group director today for more information! [Read More]
Modern Western Square Dance Lessons – Tuesdays, beginning September 12
YOU are invited to join us for Modern Western Square Dance Lessons! Join us in the Glen Mar Spirit Center from 7:00 – 9:00 pm on Tuesdays at 4701 New Cut Road, Ellicott City, MD. Cost is $7.00 per person each night. Single dancers and returning dancers are welcome. [Read More]
Dancing Needles – Starting back up for Fall! 2nd Thursdays starting September 14
Do you enjoy knitting and crocheting? Or would you like to learn? We need you in our prayer shawl group. We create prayer shawls to give to those in the hospital and those in need of special care as a reminder that others care and are praying for them. We meet on 2nd Thursdays from September through June, 1:00 pm at Glen Mar Church. We also make baby blankets for our newborns and scarves & hats for our armed forces. We usually meet the second Thursday of every month at 1:00 pm in Room 144 to knit, crochet, and share together. If you wish you can knit or crochet at home and we can arrange to have your finished items picked up or dropped off at church. Donations of yarn are always welcome.
Welcome Team Training & Lunch – Saturday, September 16 at 10:00 am
Thank you to all of our Welcome Team volunteers! You are greatly appreciated. Please plan to attend our gathering and training meeting and lunch. If you are interested in volunteering as an Usher, Greeter, Welcome Center Host, Hospitality (Coffee) Teams, and Communion Server – please join us. RSVP Today. Email Mary Ellen with any questions.
Lunch Bunch -Starting back up for Fall! 3rd Tuesdays starting September 19
Lunch Bunch is a group of “seasoned citizens” (55 and up) who meet in the lower lobby for fellowship, fun and, of course, lunch. We meet on 3rd Tuesdays from September through June. This month, just bring a sandwich and we’ll provide the rest! If you have any questions, contact the Lunch Bunch team.
Alphabet Soup – Tuesday, September 19 at 7:00 pm
Can You D.I.G It? Glen Mar’s Reconciling Community, celebrating Diversity and Inclusion at Glen Mar, meets on 3rd Tuesday nights at 7 PM, in Room 124. We are excited to welcome members who want to be open and support members in the LGBTQ+ community. All are welcome. [Read More]
Birdies for Bridges Golf Tournament – September 22 at Timbers at Troy*
Bridges to Housing Stability is hosting the 2nd Birdies for Bridges Golf Tournament to support our mission to end homelessness through affordable housing solutions and advocacy. The event will be held at Timbers at Troy on September 22, 2023 and begins at 7:30 am. The day will feature a light breakfast, box lunch, a 19th hole cookout, raffles, and several on course contests. Participants can register as individuals or as a foursome. Register online today!.
Zoom Coffee with Mandy – Saturday, September 23, 11:00 – 11:45 or so
If you would like updates on finance, giving, mission, ministry…or a chance to share your own hopes and dreams, or just see your pastor in a highly caffeinated state, register TODAY!
Our Next Turn @ Rt. 1 DRC – Saturday, September 23 – 11:45 am – 2:00 pm
One of 50 churches supporting the Grassroots Rt. 1 Day Resource Center (DRC), Glen Mar provides lunch on the 4th Saturday of every month. If you’d like to contribute to the potluck menu, help serve on site, or even view future SignUps, please visit our event.
New Member Class: Lunch w/the Pastors – October 1, 12:30 pm*
Join us for a special New Member Class – for people who want to join Glen Mar Church! We would love to meet with you in person for lunch – on us – and talk about what it means to be a member at Glen Mar Church. Sign up on Realm or search “Lunch with the Pastors” on our website. [Read More]
Joy! A Gospel Christmas Celebration – Rehearsals start October 5, 7:00 pm
Calling all singers and instrumentalists – be part of this special musical worship service on Sunday, December 17. Rehearsals for singers will be on Thursdays at 7:00 pm starting October 5. Interested instrumentalists please contact Sophie Hong today.
Family Matters Pot Luck Dinner -Saturday, October 7, 6:00 pm*
Do you have kids in preschool through middle school? We are a small group that meets every 1st Saturday of the month. This is a great opportunity to make friends with other families with kids at Glen Mar! Bring the whole family, an entrée or side dish and join us in the Glen Mar Youth Lounge.
Baptism Class – Sunday, October 8 at 11:15 am*
Baptism class is for parents who wish to have their child baptized as well as adults who wish to be baptized. For more information or to sign up visit the Baptism Page.
Bible Sunday – October 15
Join us for Bible Sunday when 3rd graders get their very own Bible! If your 3rd grader missed getting one last year – they’re welcome to get one as well. We will be presenting bibles at both worship services. Please register so we have enough Bibles. [Read More]
Donate Slightly-Worn Jewelry & Scarves by October 15*
We are preparing for our 7th annual Jewels For Hope event here at Glen Mar Church on November 4 from 8:30 – 2:00 pm. Mark your calendars and tell your friends! Drop-off containers for donations are located in the Glen Mar Gathering Place, at HopeWorks, and at the Yoga Center of Columbia. As always, 100% of sales proceeds go to HopeWorks. Read all about the event and Hopeworks on our blog. Any questions, please contact the Hopeworks Team.
Middle School Retreat – October 20-22 REGISTER NOW!
6th – 8th grade youth are invited to a weekend retreat October 20-22 at Skycroft Conference Center. We’ll have fun together while exploring how God makes us New Every Morning. The cost is $200 per person. Register by September 17. [Learn More and Register Here]
Glen Mar Church is a Lighthouse Congregation of the Baltimore Washington Conference of the United Methodist Church.
* Events that didn’t appear in the September 10 Bulletin Announcements.